Going to the movies is a popular activity in Dubai and the city boasts a good selection of multiplex cinemas showing English language films. The main cinema groups are Grand Cinemas, Reel Cinemas, and VOX Cinemas (formerly CineStar).
Films showing scenes of nudity, sex, homosexuality, anti-Islamic content etc. will have the relevant content cut out or may be even banned by the censor.
Grand Cinemas operate at the following locations in Dubai:
- Ibn Battuta Mall – Grand Megaplex (20 screens + 1 IMAX screen)
- Mercato Mall – Grand Mercato (7 screens)
- Grand Hyatt – Grand Cineplex (12 screens)
- Al Ghurair Centre – Grand Cinecity (8 screens)
- Metropolitan Hotel – Grand Metroplex (8 screens)
- Festival Centre – Grand Festival Cinemas (12 screens)
Movie listings and online ticket booking can be found on their website.
The Reel Cinemas at the Dubai Mall opened in August 2009. With 22 screens it is the largest cinema in Dubai.
The company also operates a smaller cinema at the Dubai Marina Mall.
For more details visit the official website.
VOX Cinemas (formerly CineStar)
Visit their website for show times, and bookings.
Construction work on a new 14-screen cinema at the BurJuman shopping mall began in January 2013. It is expected to open in 2014.