The name of the currency in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates is the dirham (AED or Arab Emirate Dirham – also abbreviated to DH or Dhs). There are 100 fils in a dirham.
Notes come in denominations of 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200, 500 and 1,000 Dhs. The value of the note is indicated on one side in Arabic and the other in English.
There are 1 dirham and 50, 25 and 10 fil coins in common circulation.
UAE Dirham Exchange Rate
The dirham dollar exchange rate is fixed at a rate of 3.67 AED to 1 USD (or 1 dirham equals 0.272 US dollars). Currencies such as the euro, pound, and rupee are not fixed to the dollar and hence their exchange rate with the dirham fluctuates from day to day.
Current exchange rates for the dirham with popular currencies are:
- 1 US dollar (USD) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Indian rupee (INR) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Euro (EUR) =dirham (AED)
- 1 British pound (GBP) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Moroccan dirham (MAD) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Bahraini dinar (BHD) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Kuwaiti dinar (KWD) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Omani rial (OMR) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Egyptian pound (EGP) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Pakistan rupee (PKR) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Australian dollar (AUD) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Russian rouble (RUB) =dirham (AED)
- 1 Canadian dollar (CAD) =dirham (AED)
There are banks and money exchanges and all over the city where foreign currency can be exchanged. Common locations include shopping malls and supermarkets. Money exchanges usually offer better rates than banks.
There are numerous international and local banks operating in the city.
Foreign banks in Dubai include Lloyds TSB, Barclays, Citibank, Standard Chartered, and HSBC.
Local banking operations include RAKBANK (National Bank of Ras Al-Khaimah), First Gulf Bank, Emirates Islamic Bank, ADCB (Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank). Dubai Islamic Bank (DIB), Emirates NDB, Marshreq Bank, and Noor Islamic Bank,
Traditional banking hours are Saturday to Wednesday 8 am to 1 pm and Thursday 8 am to midday, but most close later nowadays. Banks at shopping malls have extended opening times. Banks are closed on Fridays.
MasterCard, Visa and American Express are accepted at most hotels, restaurants and shops in Dubai.
There are thousands of ATMs in Dubai. Common locations include hotels, Metro stations, shopping malls, petrol stations, and supermarkets.
Currency data from Coinmill