The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is a large attraction at the centre of the Dubai Mall.
It comprises a large aquarium tank measuring 51 metres long, 20 metres deep and 11 metres high plus an underwater zoo with a variety of marine species in various habitats.
The aquarium is home over 30,000 aquatic animals including over 400 sharks and rays. They can be viewed for free from the mall through the world’s largest acrylic panel.
Visitors purchasing a ticket enjoy a 270 degree view through the 48 metre long aquarium tunnel. It’s possible to get right up to the glass for a closer look at the fish (visitors looking from the mall have to stand a few metres away behind a barrier).
Tickets also allow entry to the Underwater Zoo on Level 2. There are around 40 displays here housing creatures such as piranha, penguins, crocodiles, lizards, snakes, otters, and giant eels.
One fascinating species here is the archerfish. These small fish feed by shooting jets of water at insects to knock them into the water. Visitors to the zoo can witness how remarkably accurate they are at hitting their prey.
King Croc is one of the main attractions. The 40 year old saltwater crocodile arrived here from Australia in 2014. Weighing over 750 kg and over 5 metres long, he is one of the largest reptiles in captivity. Feeding time is a sight worth watching.
Visitors can stay at the attraction for as long as they want, but the average person spends around 20 minutes in the aquarium and 1 hour in the zoo.
Frequent visitors can purchase an annual membership card and enjoy exclusive privileges. Benefits include unlimited entry to the aquarium and zoo, unlimited glass-bottom boat rides, 15% discount on admission charges for accompanying family members and friends, 15% discount on items for sale in the gift shop, plus discounts on shark dives, cage snorkelling, and PADI courses and dive trips with Al Boom Diving.
The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is open 7 days a week. Opening times are 10 am to midnight. Last admission is 30 minutes before closing time.
The entrance to the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is located on the Ground Level of the Dubai Mall.
The Rainforest Café is next to the mall and is a great place to take kids for a meal. The themed café features life-sized models of animals such as giraffe, gorilla, crocodile, and snake hidden amongst a recreation of a rainforest. Patrons also enjoy great views of the aquarium tank. Items on the menu include soups and salads, sandwiches and burgers, pasta, plus fish, beef, and chicken dishes.
Tourist attractions and things to do near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- Dubai Ice Rink (0.1 miles) - Ice skating rink at the Dubai Mall
- The Waterfall – Dubai Mall (0.2 miles) - Impressive work of art at the Dubai Mall.
- KidZania (0.2 miles) - Edutainment centre at the Dubai Mall.
- Dubai Fountain (0.3 miles) - Musical fountain at Downtown Dubai
- At The Top – Burj Khalifa Observation Deck (0.3 miles) - The tallest building in the world
- Burj Park (0.4 miles) - Small park at Downtown Dubai.
- Dubai Opera (0.5 miles) - Performing arts venue at Downtown Dubai.
- Coca Cola Arena (0.9 miles) - Indoor venue with a capacity of 17,000. Hosts a variety of shows and events. Located at City Walk.
Cinemas near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- Reel Cinemas Dubai Mall (0.2 miles) - 26-screen cinema at the Dubai Mall.
- Reel Cinemas Rove Downtown (0.4 miles) - Boutique cinema at the Rove Downtown Dubai.
Places to shop near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- The Dubai Mall (0.0 miles) - Home to over 1,000 retail stores
- Souk Al Bahar (0.2 miles) - Souk near the Dubai Mall.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- The Grilll Shack (0.1 miles) - Open kitchen. Good view of the Dubai Ice Rink.
- Tribes Carnivore (0.1 miles) - African-inspired restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Terrace offers good views of the Dubai Fountain. Unlicensed.
- Texas Roadhouse (0.2 miles) - American restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers steaks, ribs, chicken, and burgers. Large portions. Reasonably priced. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Outdoor terrace offers view of the Dubai Fountain.
- Entrecote Café de Paris (0.2 miles) - French restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers excellent view of the Dubai Mall Waterfall.
- Claw (0.2 miles) - Lively American bar and grill at Souk Al Bahar. Menu includes bucket of crabs and shellfish, burgers, seafood, steaks, and BBQ dishes. Licensed bar. Ladies’ nights, live sports, and Friday brunch.
- At.mosphere (0.3 miles) - Restaurant and lounge on Level 122 of the Burj Khalifa. Booking essential for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Asado (0.3 miles) - Argentinian grill at the Palace Downtown. Waterfront terrace offers great view of the Burj Khalifa.
- Thiptara (0.3 miles) - Thai restaurant at the Palace Downtown. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Terrace overlooks the Burj Lake and offers good views of the Dubai Fountain and Burj Khalifa.
- Ewaan (0.4 miles) - Arabic restaurant on the ground floor of the Palace Downtown. Live cooking stations. Friday brunch. Indoor and outdoor seating. View of the Burj Khalifa.
- 24th St. World Street Food (0.7 miles) - Licensed restaurant on the 24th floor of the Dusit Thani. Street food concept offering dishes from around the world (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Arabic etc.). Vibrant and colourful interior.
- Mint Leaf of London (0.7 miles) - Contemporary Indian restaurant on the 15th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer great views of the Burj Khalifa.
- Al Grissino (0.8 miles) - Italian restaurant on the 16th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Unique bar offers spectacular views of the Dubai skyline.
- Miss Tess (0.8 miles) - Asian street food restaurant at the Taj Dubai in Business Bay. Offers a terrace with great view of the Burj Khalifa. Licensed. Great signature cocktails. Live entertainment. DJs.
- Bombay Brasserie (0.8 miles) - High-end Indian restaurant at the Taj Dubai in Business Bay. Features an open kitchen and luxurious interior. Offers good views of Burj Khalifa.
- Bayside Restaurant and Terrace (0.9 miles) - Buffet restaurant at the Steigenberger Hotel Business Bay. Friday brunch. Licensed. Terrace overlooks the Dubai Water Canal.
- The Backyard (0.9 miles) - Street art inspired terrace at the Steigenberger Hotel Business Bay. Street food menu. DJs. Licensed.
Hotels near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- Address Boulevard (0.3 miles)
- Roda Al Murooj Hotel (0.3 miles)
- Rove Downtown (0.4 miles)
- Manzil Downtown (0.5 miles)
- Vida Downtown (0.6 miles)
- Sofitel Dubai Downtown (0.6 miles)
- Dusit Thani Dubai (0.7 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Distinction (0.7 miles)
- Millennium Central Downtown (0.7 miles)
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Canal View (0.8 miles)
- Taj Dubai (0.8 miles)
- Carlton Downtown Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai (0.8 miles)
- Emirates Grand Hotel (0.8 miles)
Nearby Metro Stations
Metro Stations near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
Map showing location of The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
United Arab Emirates
Photo Credit: trabantos/Shutterstock