91 is the country code for India.
New Delhi is the capital city of India.
How to Call India from Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
To call a telephone number in India from Dubai (United Arab Emirates):
- Dial the international call prefix. For calls from Dubai (United Arab Emirates) this is 00 (or '+' from mobile phones).
- Dial the country code for India - 91.
- Dial the subscriber number, omitting the first zero if there is one.
Landlines – City/Area Codes in India
Landline numbers in India are 10 digits long (area code + subscriber number).
Area codes for the biggest cities are 2 digits long. Smaller cities and large towns have area codes 3 digits in length.
Area codes for a selection of cities in India are listed below:
- Agra – 562
- Ahmedabad – 79
- Bangalore (Bengaluru) – 80
- Bhopal -755
- Chennai (Madras) – 44
- Faridabad – 129
- Ghaziabad – 120
- Hyderabad – 40
- Indore – 731
- Jaipur -141
- Kalyan-Dombivli – 251
- Kanpur – 512
- Kolkata (Calcutta) – 33
- Lucknow – 522
- Ludhiana – 161
- Meerut – 121
- Mumbai – 22
- Nagpur -712
- Nashik – 253
- New Delhi – 11
- Patna – 612
- Pimpri-Chinchwad – 20
- Pune – 20
- Rajkot – 281
- Ranchi – 651
- Surat – 261
- Thane – 22
- Vadodara – 265
- Vasai-Virar – 250
- Visakhapatnam – 891
A 0 prefix before the area code is used when calling a landline number from a different area within India or from an Indian mobile.
Do not dial the 0 prefix or area code when telephoning from a landline in the same area.
Do not add a 0 prefix to the area code when calling from overseas.
For example, to call a number in Mumbai XXXXXXXX:
- From a landline in Mumbai dial XXXXXXXX.
- From a landline in India outside Mumbai, dial 0-22-XXXXXXXX.
- From a mobile phone in India, dial 0-22-XXXXXXXX.
- From overseas, dial the international call prefix (00/+), the country code for India (91), the area code without the 0, then the subscriber number e.g. 00-91-22-XXXXXXXX or +91-22-XXXXXXXX.
Mobile Telephone Numbers in India
Mobile phone numbers in India are 10 digits long.
They begin with 6, 7, 8, or 9.
To call a mobile phone number in India from overseas, dial the international exit call prefix (00/+), the India country code (91), and then the subscriber number e.g. 00-91-XXXXXXXXXX or +91- XXXXXXXXXX.
When calling India from the United Arab Emirates, please note there is a time difference between India and the UAE.
The current time in the UAE is . The date is .
The time in India is now . The date is .
The time difference between UAE and India is 1.5 hours.
The official currency of India is the Indian rupee (INR).
Current exchange rates between the UAE dirham and the Indian rupee (INR to AED, AED to INR) are:
- 1 Indian rupee (INR) = 0.049 AED
- 1 UAE dirham (AED) = 20.21 INR
Exchange rates on this page were last updated on .
India is a large country in South Asia. It is a peninsula, bounded by the Arabian Sea to the west, the Bay of Bengal to the east and the Indian Ocean to the south.
It is the second-most populous country in the world.
The capital of India is New Delhi.
There are two official languages at the federal level; Hindi and English. Hundreds of others are spoken.
Useful information about India
- Two-letter Country Code (ISO 3166-1 alpha-2): IN
- Three-letter Country Code (ISO 3166-1 alpha-3): IND
- Region: Asia
- Capital: New Delhi
- Area: 3,287,590 square km
- Language(s): Hindi, English
- Borders: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, China, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
According to data from the World Bank, the population of India in recent years is:
- 2018 - 1,352,617,328
- 2017 - 1,338,658,835
- 2016 - 1,324,509,589
- 2015 - 1,310,152,403
- 2014 - 1,295,604,184
- 2013 - 1,280,846,129
- 2012 - 1,265,782,790
- 2011 - 1,250,288,729
- 2010 - 1,234,281,170
- 2009 - 1,217,726,215
- 2008 - 1,200,669,765
- 2007 - 1,183,209,472
- 2006 - 1,165,486,291
- 2005 - 1,147,609,927
- 2004 - 1,129,623,456
- 2003 - 1,111,523,144
- 2002 - 1,093,317,189
- 2001 - 1,075,000,085
- 2000 - 1,056,575,549
- 1999 - 1,038,058,156
- 1998 - 1,019,483,581
Map of India
The location of India can be seen on the map below.