Dubai has a great reputation for its astounding New Year’s Eve celebrations and 2019 promises to deliver again.
Fireworks and Light Shows
At the stroke of midnight there are spectacular fireworks/lights shows at a variety of iconic locations across the city. They include:
Burj Khalifa and the Dubai Fountain
Tens of thousands of people will gather at Downtown Dubai to watch the displays at the Burj Khalifa and Dubai Fountain. Watching from the Waterfront Promenade outside the Dubai Mall is completely free, but you’ll need to arrive very early to claim a good spot.
Burj Al Arab
Dubai’s iconic Burj Al Arab hotel is the setting for another fireworks and light show. Book a table at one of the restaurants at the Madinat Jumeirah for great views. Watch for free from locations such Jumeirah Public Beach or the Palm Jumeirah Boardwalk (western side).
Atlantis the Palm
The signature hotel on the Palm Jumeirah also hosts a fireworks display. Watch it for free from the Palm Jumeirah Boardwalk.
Dubai Festival City Mall
Dubai Festival City Mall will be hosting a special version of its IMAGINE water and light show to ring in the New Year. There will be firework displays at 8 pm, 9 pm, 11 pm and midnight and a live DJ on stage from 5 pm.
Entrance is free. To watch in comfort book a table at one of the restaurants overlooking Festival Bay.
Global Village, the seasonal attraction at Dubailand, will host concerts, shows, and a fireworks display. The Carnaval funfair here makes it a good choice for families. Entrance is cheap.
Dubai Metro and Dubai Tram
The Dubai Metro is running extended times over the New Year period. The Red Line will operate from 5 am on Tuesday 31 December 2019 to midnight of Wednesday January 1 2020. The Green Line will run from 5.30 am on Tuesday 31 December 2019 to midnight of Wednesday January 1 2020.
The Dubai Tram will run from 6 am on Tuesday 31 December 2019 until 1 am on Thursday January 2 2020.
Restaurants, Galas, and Parties
Almost all restaurants, hotels and clubs host New Year’s Eve events. Prices are usually high, especially for outdoor tables with views of the fireworks and light shows. There are a few cheap options.
Events, dinners, and parties for New Year 2019 include:
- Zero Gravity, a beach club at Dubai Marina, will be hosting a New Year’s Eve beach festival with Jonas Blue and Jax Jones. Ticket prices from 200 AED (£41.65, €49.39, $54.45).
- Atlantis on the Palm Jumeirah will ring in 2020 with its Roaring 20s New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner. Tickets are priced at 3,300 AED (£687.19, €814.92, $898.45).
- McGettigan’s, the Irish bar at Jumeirah Lakes Towers, is offering an all-inclusive dinner and drinks package for 499 AED (£103.91, €123.23, $135.86).
- The Dubai Opera at Downtown Dubai welcomes 2020 with a gala dinner with Syrian singer Nassif Zeytoun.
- Massala Library by Jiggs Kalra, the Indian restaurant at JW Marriott Marquis Dubai in Business Bay, is offering a New Year’s Eve Experience Menu. Prices from 495 AED (£103.08, €122.24, $134.77).
- Shimmers, the beachside restaurant at the Jumeirah Mina A’Salam hotel at Madinat Jumeirah is hosting an ‘Under the Stars Gala Dinner’. The price for an adult is 3700 AED (£770.49, €913.7, $1007.35).
- Little Miss India, the acclaimed Indian restaurant at the Fairmont the Palm hotel on the Palm Jumeirah has New Year dinner packages starting at 699 AED (£145.56, €172.61, $190.31).
- Rixos The Palm is hosting a French-inspired gala dinner. Prices from 2,200 AED (£458.13, €543.28, $598.97).
- Feast restaurant at the Sheraton Grand Hotel on Sheikh Zayed Road is hosting a dinner with jazz music. Prices start at 425 AED (£88.5, €104.95, $115.71).
- Social by Heinz Beck at the Waldorf Astoria (Palm Jumeirah) is offering a six-course set dinner with a live piano player. Prices from 950 AED (£197.83, €234.6, $258.64).
- Ne-Yo is performing at White Beach at Atlantis. Tickets from 350 AED (£72.88, €86.43, $95.29).
- Bungalow, the beach bar at Laguna Waterpark, is offering meal and drinks packages from 300 AED (£62.47, €74.08, $81.68).
- Al Grissino, the Italian restaurant at Emirates Financial Towers (DIFC), is offering a 5-course dinner package. The restaurant has excellent views of the Burj Khalifa. Prices from 699 AED (£145.56, €172.61, $190.31).
- Yalumba, at Le Meridien Dubai, is hosting an 80s themed party with dinner. Tickets are priced at 529 AED (£110.16, €130.63, $144.02).
- Al Muntaha at the Burj Al Arab hotel is offering a six-course New Year’s Eve dinner. Adult tickets cost 9,000 AED (£1874.17, €2222.51, $2450.31).
- Villa Beach at the Jumeirah Beach Hotel is offering a 5-course set menu with champagne and drinks for 1,950 AED (£406.07, €481.54, $530.9).
- Gia, an unlicensed Italian restaurant at the Dubai Mall, is hosting a 3-course dinner. Ticket prices from 1,200 AED (£249.89, €296.33, $326.71).
- La Serre, the French restaurant at Vida Downtown (Downtown Dubai), is having a jazz-themed party. Tickets from 2,500 AED (£520.6, €617.36, $680.64).
- Kitchen6 at JW Marriott Marquis is offering a buffet for 295 AED (£61.43, €72.85, $80.32) per person.
- ZOCO, the Mexican restaurant at Al Habtoor City, is hosting a New Year’s Eve Latin Fiesta. Package prices start at 295 AED (£61.43, €72.85, $80.32).
- Frevo, the Brazilian restaurant at Fairmont The Palm, is hosting a NYE dinner. Adult prices from 895 AED (£186.38, €221.02, $243.67).
- The Grand Excelsior Hotel in Bur Dubai is hosting a New Year’s Eve Party with band, belly dancer, and DJ. Tickets from 350 AED (£72.88, €86.43, $95.29).
Prices in brackets are foreign currency equivalents (UK pounds, euros, and dollars) and are for informational purposes only. The following exchange rates were used:
- 1 UAE dirham (AED) = £0.21
- 1 UAE dirham (AED) = €0.25
- 1 UAE dirham (AED) = $0.27
Rates were last updated on Saturday 25th of January 2020 at 12:32 am GMT.
To calculate the prices in other currencies, use the exchange rates on this page.
New Year’s Day
New Year’s Day, January 1 2020, is a public holiday in Dubai. New Year’s Eve is not a public holiday.
If you can’t make it to Dubai to see the fireworks and light shows, you will probably be able to watch them on a TV station in your home country. Please note the time difference between Dubai and cities around the world.
New Year in Dubai will happen in:
- Berlin and Germany – 9 pm, 31 December 2019 – 3 hours behind
- Cairo and Egypt – 10 pm, 31 December 2019 – 2 hours behind
- Delhi and India – 1.30 am, 1 January 2020 – 1.5 hours ahead
- Doha and Qatar – 11 pm, 31 December 2019 – 1 hour behind
- Hong Kong – 4 am, 1 January 2020 – 4 hours ahead
- Islamabad and Pakistan – 1 am, 1 January 2020 – 1 hour ahead
- London and UK – 8 pm, 31 December 2019 – 4 hours behind
- Moscow – 11 pm, 31 December 2019 – 1 hour behind
- New York – 3 pm, 31 December 2019 – 9 hours behind
- Singapore – 4 am, 1 January 2020 – 4 hours ahead
Time differences between Dubai and other major cities around the world can be found here.
The local time in Dubai and the United Arab Emirates is now
United Arab Emirates
Photo Credit: Pe Dra, Mo Azizi/Shutterstock