The Khan Murjan is one of Dubai’s more unusual new shopping developments. Situated at Wafi City, this underground market is inspired by a 14th century Baghdad meeting place or khan.
The 50,000 square foot market consists of two floors divided into four quarters (Syrian, Turkish, Moroccan, and Egyptian), with the design of each heavily influenced by the architecture of the respective region. It was built by specialised craftsmen under the direction of Dr Mahmoud Mabrouk, a renowned Egyptologist from Cairo.
A selection of shops at Khan Murjan are listed below.
- Abdullah Al Majid – Handicrafts and antiques.
- Agas – Handmade carpets from Afghanistan, Iran, and Pakistan.
- Al Mayassin – Arabic perfumes and incense.
- Abbas Saberi (Swan Palace) – Fantastic metal-art paintings by Abbas Saberi.
- Amber Oasis – Arabic prayer beads, handicrafts, jewellery etc.
- Bab Al Funoon – Islamic and ancient art.
- Candle Mania Egypt – Handmade candles.
- Crafts Royal – Arabic womenswear (abayas, sheilas etc.).
- Davos – Arabic clothing.
- Elma Istanbul – Jewellery.
- Golden Pen Engraving – Engraving, calligraphy, and jewellery by Iranian artist Amir Hossein. Amir is best known for his microscopic works.
- Haifa Gallery – Arabic womenswear.
- Handloom Emporium Novelties – Carpets, bedding, clothing, textiles etc.
- Istyle4u – Imitation jewellery.
- Kahraman – Handicrafts.
- Kenzi Beauty Lounge – Beauty salon offering nail treatments, facials, waxing etc.
- Khan Al Saboun – Lebanese organic soaps, skincare products etc.
- Khan Al Wazeer – Oils.
- Khan Murjan - Restaurant
- Khuloud Al Raeesi Jewellery – Jewellery.
- Kristena Power – Ladieswear.
- Kudu Arts – Handicrafts.
- London Studios – Photography studio.
- Loria Heritage – Silver and copper household items.
- Mohra for Abaya – Abayas and sheilas.
- Natural Life Trading – Beauty products.
- Original Elite Trading – Organic beauty products.
- Rouh Al Oud – Arabic fragrances.
- Senorita Boutique – Womenswear.
- Shoukhy Perfumes – Arabic fragrances.
Details were last checked on Saturday 1st of December 2018.
Around 100 small stores sell a variety of handicrafts and products including carpets and rugs, perfumes, furniture, antiques, jewellery, abayas, art, herbs and spices, and calligraphy.
At the heart of the souk is the award-winning Khan Murjan restaurant. It offers a wide variety of cuisines from all around the Middle East, including dishes from Lebanon, Iran, Egypt, Morocco, and Turkey.
Khan Murjan is open every day of the week. Opening times are Saturday to Wednesday 10 am to 10 pm, and Thursday and Friday 10 am to midnight.
The souk is situated at Wafi City in the Umm Hurair district of Dubai, just off Sheikh Rashid Road. Free parking is available for over 1,000 cars. The souk is underground and can be accessed from the Wafi Mall. The entrances are close to the main ground floor entrances to the Wafi Mall.
Map showing location of Khan Murjan.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
Wafi City, Umm Hurair
United Arab Emirates