Update 30 November 2020: Operating times for the Dubai Metro on the Commemoration Day and UAE National Day holidays have been announced. From Tuesday December 1 to Thursday December 3 2020, hours are:
- Red Line Stations: 5 am to 1 am
- Green Line Stations: 5.30 am to 1 am
Note that these are hours for the lines as a whole. Times of first and last trains from an individual station will vary.
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) was founded as a federation on 2 December 1971. Six of the seven emirates (Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Sharjah, and Umm Al Quwain) joined on that date. Ras Al Khaimah was admitted in February 1971.
UAE National Day celebrates the formation of the federation. It is 2-day public holiday held every year, beginning on 2 December. In 2020 UAE National Day will fall on Wednesday 2 December. It will be the 49th UAE National Day to be held.
Wednesday 2 December and Thursday 3 December 2020 will be public holidays for both public and private sector workers.
Celebrations are held throughout Dubai and the other emirates. Buildings are decorated with the UAE flag and symbols.
Tuesday December 1 2020 is also a public holiday (Commemoration Day).
Events in 2020 include:
- Global Village – Fireworks at 9 pm – December 1 to December 5 2020
- La Mer – Fireworks and live performances – December 2 to December 4 2020
- Dubai Festival City – Fireworks on December 2 2020 at 9 pm and 11 pm
- Al Seef – Entertainment – December 1 to December 5 2020
- The Pointe – Fountain show and fireworks – December 1 to December 3 2020, 6 pm to midnight
Note: COVID restrictions apply. Advance booking may be required. See venue websites and social media pages for details.
United Arab Emirates