The United Arab Emirates (UAE) was founded as a federation on 2 December 1971. Six of the seven emirates (Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Sharjah, and Umm Al Quwain) joined on that date. Ras Al Khaimah was admitted in February 1971.
UAE National Day celebrates the formation of the federation. It is 2-day public holiday held every year, beginning on 2 December. In 2019 UAE National Day will fall on Monday 2 December. It will be the 48th UAE National Day to be held.
Monday 2 December and Tuesday 3 December 2019 will be public holidays for both public and private sector workers.
Celebrations are held throughout Dubai and the other emirates. Buildings are decorated with the UAE flag and symbols.
Sunday December 1 2019 is also a public holiday (Commemoration Day).
- 1 December – Al Seef: 8 pm, La Mer 8.30 pm, The Beach 9 pm
- 2 December – Al Seef: 8 pm, La Mer 8.30 pm, The Beach 9 pm
- 2 December – Dubai Festival City Mall: Special IMAGINE shows and firework displays at 8 pm and 10 pm
- 29 November – La Mer: 9 pm Eida Al Menhali
- 1 December – La Mer: 9 pm Essa Al Marzouq and Balqees
- 2 December – La Mer: 9 pm Hussain Al Jassmi
- 2 December – Global Village: 9 pm Hamad Al Amri
- 2 December – Dubai Festival City Mall: Live bands from 3 pm
- 6 December – Al Seef: 9 pm Mohamed Al Shehhi
Special shows will also be held at the Dubai Fountain and Burj Khalifa. From Sunday 1 December to Tuesday 3 December, the Burj Khalifa will be lit with colours of the UAE flag and the fountain show will feature the UAE national anthem. Shows start at 6 pm.
- Roxy Cinemas are offering free popcorn. Offer applies for movies starting before 2 pm from 29 November to 3 December 2019. They have cinemas at The Beach, City Walk, Boxpark, and La Mer.
- Admission to Dubai Rugby Sevens is free on Thursday 5 December. Tickets for Friday 6 December are priced at 400 AED in advance and include a Kylie Minogue concert.
- Motiongate have a special UAE National Day offer for UAE residents. Buy one ticket for 275 AED and get up to 3 more at 48 AED each.
- LEGOLAND Dubai is offering up to 3 tickets at 48 AED when purchasing one full price ticket.
Public Transport – Metro, Dubai Tram, Parking
The RTA have announced that all public parking (except multi-storey car parks) will be free from Sunday 1 December to Tuesday 3 December 2019.
Metro stations will operate as follows:
- Red Line Stations – 1 and 2 December – 5 am to 1 am (next day)
- Green Line Stations – 1 and 2 December – 5.30 am to 1 am (next day)
Hours for the Dubai Tram will be:
- 1 and 2 December – 6 am to 1 am
United Arab Emirates