The Dubai Fountain is the world’s largest musical fountain and the city’s most popular free tourist attraction.
The fountain consists of a 275 metre long central arc of jets, joined to a smaller arc and 5 circles of jets. When the performance begins these powerful jets shoot water sprays to heights of up to 150 metres in harmony with the music and illuminated by over 6,000 powerful lights and 50 colour projectors.
Performances are held daily and last up to 5 minutes. Evening shows begin at 6 pm and are every half hour until 11 pm. There are also 2 performances in the daytime; at 1 pm and 1.30 pm (1.30 pm and 2 pm on Fridays).
Songs and music accompanying the displays range from contemporary pop to classical. The repertoire includes Thriller by Michael Jackson, I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, All Night Long by Lionel Ritchie, Baba Yetu by Christopher Tin, The Magnificent Seven by Elmer Bernstein, and Time To Say Goodbye by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman.
Performances are completely free and can be seen from various locations around Downtown Dubai. The most popular spot is the Waterfront Promenade outside the Dubai Mall. Just before the performance begins, thousands of people pour out from the mall and the area gets extremely busy. Visitors wishing to view it from here should arrive early to ensure a spot at the front.
The walkway around Souk Al Bahar is far less crowded and offers a more pleasant viewing experience. Spectators coming from the Dubai Mall will need to set off around 15 minutes before the performance begins to avoid the crowds at the Dubai Mall exit and the Souk Al Bahar Bridge.
For a really fantastic view, book a table or arrive early at one of the restaurants with outdoor seating areas overlooking the lake and fountain.
Restaurants with good views at the Dubai Mall include TGI Fridays, Wafi Gourmet (Lebanese), Carluccio’s (Italian), Joe’s Café, More (International), Madeleine (French), and Burj Al Hamam (Lebanese). Visitors should note that none of the restaurants at the Dubai Mall serve alcohol.
Several restaurants at Souk Al Bahar also offer fantastic views. These include Dean & Deluca Café, Baker & Spice, Rivington Grill (British), Urbano (Italian – side view of fountain), Margaux Restaurant (French), Mango Tree (Thai), and Bice Mare (Italian). The Rivington Grill, Margaux, Mango Tree, and Bice Mare serve alcohol.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Dubai Fountain include:
- At The Top – Burj Khalifa Observation Deck (0.2 miles) - The tallest building in the world
- Dubai Opera (0.2 miles) - Performing arts venue at Downtown Dubai.
- The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo (0.3 miles) - Aquarium at the Dubai Mall.
- KidZania (0.3 miles) - Edutainment centre at the Dubai Mall.
- Dubai Ice Rink (0.3 miles) - Ice skating rink at the Dubai Mall
- SEGA Republic (0.3 miles) - Indoor theme park at the Dubai Mall
Cinemas near Dubai Fountain include:
- Reel Cinemas Dubai Mall (0.4 miles) - 26-screen cinema at the Dubai Mall.
- Reel Cinemas Rove Downtown (0.6 miles) - Boutique cinema at the Rove Downtown Dubai.
Places to shop near Dubai Fountain include:
- Souk Al Bahar (0.1 miles) - Souk near the Dubai Mall.
- The Dubai Mall (0.3 miles) - Home to over 1,000 retail stores
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Dubai Fountain include:
- Thiptara (0.1 miles) - Thai restaurant at the Palace Downtown. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Terrace overlooks the Burj Lake and offers good views of the Dubai Fountain and Burj Khalifa.
- Claw (0.1 miles) - Lively American bar and grill at Souk Al Bahar. Menu includes bucket of crabs and shellfish, burgers, seafood, steaks, and BBQ dishes. Licensed bar. Ladies’ nights, live sports, and Friday brunch.
- Asado (0.1 miles) - Argentinian grill at the Palace Downtown. Waterfront terrace offers great view of the Burj Khalifa.
- Ewaan (0.1 miles) - Arabic restaurant on the ground floor of the Palace Downtown. Live cooking stations. Friday brunch. Indoor and outdoor seating. View of the Burj Khalifa.
- At.mosphere (0.1 miles) - Restaurant and lounge on Level 122 of the Burj Khalifa. Booking essential for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Texas Roadhouse (0.2 miles) - American restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers steaks, ribs, chicken, and burgers. Large portions. Reasonably priced. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Outdoor terrace offers view of the Dubai Fountain.
- Entrecote Café de Paris (0.2 miles) - French restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers excellent view of the Dubai Mall Waterfall.
- Bombay Brasserie (0.6 miles) - High-end Indian restaurant at the Taj Dubai in Business Bay. Features an open kitchen and luxurious interior. Offers good views of Burj Khalifa.
- Mint Leaf of London (0.9 miles) - Contemporary Indian restaurant on the 15th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer great views of the Burj Khalifa.
- Al Grissino (0.9 miles) - Italian restaurant on the 16th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Unique bar offers spectacular views of the Dubai skyline.
Hotels near Dubai Fountain include:
- The Palace Downtown Dubai (0.1 miles)
- Armani Hotel Dubai (0.1 miles)
- Ramada Downtown Dubai (0.3 miles)
- Manzil Downtown Dubai (0.3 miles)
- The Address Dubai Mall Hotel (0.3 miles)
- Vida Downtown Dubai (0.4 miles)
- Taj Dubai (0.5 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Mall Street (0.5 miles)
- Sofitel Dubai Downtown (0.5 miles)
- Roda Al Murooj Hotel (0.5 miles)
- Rove Downtown Dubai (0.6 miles)
- Steigenberger Hotel - Business Bay (0.6 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Cour Jardin (0.7 miles)
- Dusit Thani (0.7 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Canal Views (0.8 miles)
- City Premiere Hotel Apartments (0.8 miles)
- Villa Rotana - Dubai (0.9 miles)
- M Hotel Downtown (0.9 miles)
- Shangri La Hotel Dubai (0.9 miles)
- Carlton Downtown Hotel (1 miles)
- Emirates Grand Hotel (1 miles)
Nearby Metro Stations
Metro Stations near Dubai Fountain include:
Map showing location of Dubai Fountain.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
United Arab Emirates