The Dubai Fountain is the world’s largest musical fountain and the city’s most popular free tourist attraction.
The fountain consists of a 275 metre long central arc of jets, joined to a smaller arc and 5 circles of jets. When the performance begins these powerful jets shoot water sprays to heights of up to 150 metres, dancing in harmony with the music and illuminated by over 6,000 powerful lights, lasers, and 50 colour projectors.
Performances are held daily and last up to 5 minutes. In 2020, evening shows begin at 6 pm and are every half hour until 11 pm. There are also 2 performances in the daytime; timings are 1 pm and 1.30 pm (show times are 1.30 pm and 2 pm on Fridays).
Songs and music synchronised to the displays include contemporary pop, classical, and Arabic. The repertoire in 2020 includes Kiss Goodbye by Han Yimiao, I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston, Time to Say Goodbye by Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli, Bassbor Al Fourgakom by Hussain Al Jassmi, The Prayer by Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion, Symphony No. 9 in E minor by Antonin Dvorak, Ensan Aktar by Abdul Majeed Abdullah, I’ll Never Love Again by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, Power by Exo, and Baba Yetu by Chirstopher Tin. The song list changes regularly.
Performances are completely free and can be seen from various locations around Downtown Dubai. The most popular spot is the Waterfront Promenade outside the Dubai Mall. Just before the performance begins, thousands of people pour out from the mall and the area gets extremely busy. Visitors wishing to view it from here should arrive early to ensure a spot at the front.
The walkway around Souk Al Bahar is far less crowded and offers a more pleasant viewing experience. Spectators coming from the Dubai Mall will need to set off around 15 minutes before the performance begins to avoid the crowds at the Dubai Mall exit and the Souk Al Bahar Bridge.
A couple of paid viewing options for evening shows are also available. The Dubai Fountain Lake Ride offers visitors the chance to see the fountains up close by taking a traditional Arabic boat (abra) trip on the Burj Khalifa Lake.
A cheaper paid option is the Dubai Fountain Boardwalk. This floating viewing platform allows visitors to walk within 10 meters of the fountain.
At the time of writing (February 2020), tickets for the Lake Ride cost 68.25 AED. Tickets for the Boardwalk cost 20 AED.
Another option for a fantastic view of the fountains is to dine at one of the restaurants with outdoor seating areas overlooking the lake and fountain. Advance booking or early arrival is recommended.
Restaurants with good views at the Dubai Mall include TGI Fridays, Wafi Gourmet (Lebanese), Carluccio’s (Italian), and Joe’s Café. Visitors should note that none of the restaurants at the Dubai Mall serve alcohol.
Several restaurants at Souk Al Bahar also offer fantastic views. These include Baker & Spice and Bice Mare (Italian). Many restaurants here serve alcohol.
The Apple Store at the Dubai Mall boasts a huge balcony. It’s also a good place to watch the Dubai Fountain.
Tourist attractions and things to do near Dubai Fountain include:
- At The Top – Burj Khalifa Observation Deck (0.2 miles) - The tallest building in the world
- Dubai Opera (0.2 miles) - Performing arts venue at Downtown Dubai.
- The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo (0.3 miles) - Aquarium at the Dubai Mall.
- KidZania (0.3 miles) - Edutainment centre at the Dubai Mall.
- Dubai Ice Rink (0.3 miles) - Ice skating rink at the Dubai Mall
Cinemas near Dubai Fountain include:
- Reel Cinemas Dubai Mall (0.4 miles) - 26-screen cinema at the Dubai Mall.
- Reel Cinemas Rove Downtown (0.6 miles) - Boutique cinema at the Rove Downtown Dubai.
Places to shop near Dubai Fountain include:
- Souk Al Bahar (0.1 miles) - Souk near the Dubai Mall.
- The Dubai Mall (0.3 miles) - Home to over 1,000 retail stores
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near Dubai Fountain include:
- Thiptara (0.1 miles) - Thai restaurant at the Palace Downtown. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Terrace overlooks the Burj Lake and offers good views of the Dubai Fountain and Burj Khalifa.
- Claw (0.1 miles) - Lively American bar and grill at Souk Al Bahar. Menu includes bucket of crabs and shellfish, burgers, seafood, steaks, and BBQ dishes. Licensed bar. Ladies’ nights, live sports, and Friday brunch.
- Asado (0.1 miles) - Argentinian grill at the Palace Downtown. Waterfront terrace offers great view of the Burj Khalifa.
- Ewaan (0.1 miles) - Arabic restaurant on the ground floor of the Palace Downtown. Live cooking stations. Friday brunch. Indoor and outdoor seating. View of the Burj Khalifa.
- Tribes Carnivore (0.1 miles) - African-inspired restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Terrace offers good views of the Dubai Fountain. Unlicensed.
- At.mosphere (0.1 miles) - Restaurant and lounge on Level 122 of the Burj Khalifa. Booking essential for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Texas Roadhouse (0.2 miles) - American restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers steaks, ribs, chicken, and burgers. Large portions. Reasonably priced. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Outdoor terrace offers view of the Dubai Fountain.
- Entrecote Café de Paris (0.2 miles) - French restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers excellent view of the Dubai Mall Waterfall.
- The Grilll Shack (0.3 miles) - Open kitchen. Good view of the Dubai Ice Rink.
- Miss Tess (0.6 miles) - Asian street food restaurant at the Taj Dubai in Business Bay. Offers a terrace with great view of the Burj Khalifa. Licensed. Great signature cocktails. Live entertainment. DJs.
- Bombay Brasserie (0.6 miles) - High-end Indian restaurant at the Taj Dubai in Business Bay. Features an open kitchen and luxurious interior. Offers good views of Burj Khalifa.
- Bayside Restaurant and Terrace (0.6 miles) - Buffet restaurant at the Steigenberger Hotel Business Bay. Friday brunch. Licensed. Terrace overlooks the Dubai Water Canal.
- The Backyard (0.6 miles) - Street art inspired terrace at the Steigenberger Hotel Business Bay. Street food menu. DJs. Licensed.
- 24th St. World Street Food (0.8 miles) - Licensed restaurant on the 24th floor of the Dusit Thani. Street food concept offering dishes from around the world (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Italian, Arabic etc.). Vibrant and colourful interior.
- Mint Leaf of London (0.9 miles) - Contemporary Indian restaurant on the 15th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer great views of the Burj Khalifa.
- Al Grissino (0.9 miles) - Italian restaurant on the 16th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Unique bar offers spectacular views of the Dubai skyline.
Hotels near Dubai Fountain include:
- Manzil Downtown (0.3 miles)
- Vida Downtown (0.4 miles)
- Address Boulevard (0.4 miles)
- Sofitel Dubai Downtown (0.5 miles)
- Taj Dubai (0.5 miles)
- Roda Al Murooj Hotel (0.5 miles)
- Rove Downtown (0.6 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Distinction (0.6 miles)
- Dusit Thani Dubai (0.8 miles)
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Waterfront (0.8 miles)
- Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Canal View (0.9 miles)
- Millennium Central Downtown (0.9 miles)
- Gulf Court Hotel Business Bay (0.9 miles)
- Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai (0.9 miles)
- Carlton Downtown Hotel (0.9 miles)
- Emirates Grand Hotel (1 miles)
Nearby Metro Stations
Metro Stations near Dubai Fountain include:
Map showing location of Dubai Fountain.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
United Arab Emirates