The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is a large attraction at the centre of the Dubai Mall.
It comprises a large aquarium tank measuring 51 metres long, 20 metres deep and 11 metres high plus an underwater zoo with a variety of marine species in various habitats.
The aquarium is home over 30,000 aquatic animals including over 400 sharks and rays. They can be viewed for free from the mall through the world’s largest acrylic panel.
Visitors purchasing a ticket enjoy a 270 degree view through the 48 metre long aquarium tunnel and also gain access to the Underwater Zoo on Level 2. There are around 40 displays here housing creatures such as piranha, penguins, crocodiles, lizards, snakes, otters, and giant eels. One fascinating species here is the archerfish. These small fish feed by shooting jets of water at insects to knock them into the water. Visitors to the zoo can witness how remarkably accurate they are at hitting their prey.
Additional experiences offered include glass-bottomed boat rides, cage snorkelling, shark dives, and PADI speciality dives.
Standard tickets cost AED 55 and allow access to both the aquarium and zoo. The Platinum Aquarium Package costs AED 80 and, in addition to admission to the aquarium and zoo, also includes the Behind the Scenes Tour. For AED 110 you can purchase the Ultimate Aquarium and gain access to the aquarium and zoo, enjoy a ride on the glass-bottom boat, and take part in feeding the fish. There is no discount for children but infants up to 3 years old enjoy free entry. Tickets are valid for one entry only.
Visitors can stay at the attraction for as long as they want, but the average person spends around 20 minutes in the aquarium and 1 hour in the zoo.
Frequent visitors can purchase a membership card and enjoy exclusive privileges. Benefits include unlimited entry to the aquarium and zoo, unlimited glass-bottom boat rides, 15% discount on admission charges for accompanying family members and friends, 15% discount on items for sale in the gift shop, plus discounts on shark dives, cage snorkelling, and PADI courses and dive trips with Al Boom Diving. Membership currently costs AED 250 for one year.
The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is open 7 days a week. Opening times are Sunday to Wednesday 10 am to 10 pm, and Thursday to Saturday 10 am until midnight. Last admission is 30 minutes before closing time.
The entrance to the Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is located on the Ground Level of the Dubai Mall.
The Rainforest Café is next to the mall and is a great place to take kids for a meal. The themed café features life-sized models of animals such as giraffe, gorilla, crocodile, and snake hidden amongst a recreation of a rainforest. Patrons also enjoy great views of the aquarium tank. Items on the menu include soups and salads, sandwiches and burgers, pasta, plus fish and chicken dishes.
Tourist attractions and things to do near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- Dubai Ice Rink (0.1 miles) - Ice skating rink at the Dubai Mall
- SEGA Republic (0.2 miles) - Indoor theme park at the Dubai Mall
- KidZania (0.2 miles) - Edutainment centre at the Dubai Mall.
- Dubai Fountain (0.3 miles) - Musical fountain at Downtown Dubai
- At The Top – Burj Khalifa Observation Deck (0.3 miles) - The tallest building in the world
- Dubai Opera (0.5 miles) - Performing arts venue at Downtown Dubai.
Cinemas near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- Reel Cinemas Dubai Mall (0.2 miles) - 26-screen cinema at the Dubai Mall.
- Reel Cinemas Rove Downtown (0.4 miles) - Boutique cinema at the Rove Downtown Dubai.
Places to shop near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- The Dubai Mall (0.0 miles) - Home to over 1,000 retail stores
- Souk Al Bahar (0.2 miles) - Souk near the Dubai Mall.
Restaurants and places to eat and drink near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- Texas Roadhouse (0.2 miles) - American restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers steaks, ribs, chicken, and burgers. Large portions. Reasonably priced. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Outdoor terrace offers view of the Dubai Fountain.
- Entrecote Café de Paris (0.2 miles) - French restaurant at the Dubai Mall. Offers excellent view of the Dubai Mall Waterfall.
- Claw (0.2 miles) - Lively American bar and grill at Souk Al Bahar. Menu includes bucket of crabs and shellfish, burgers, seafood, steaks, and BBQ dishes. Licensed bar. Ladies’ nights, live sports, and Friday brunch.
- At.mosphere (0.3 miles) - Restaurant and lounge on Level 122 of the Burj Khalifa. Booking essential for this once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Asado (0.3 miles) - Argentinian grill at the Palace Downtown. Waterfront terrace offers great view of the Burj Khalifa.
- Thiptara (0.3 miles) - Thai restaurant at the Palace Downtown. Indoor and outdoor dining areas. Terrace overlooks the Burj Lake and offers good views of the Dubai Fountain and Burj Khalifa.
- Ewaan (0.4 miles) - Arabic restaurant on the ground floor of the Palace Downtown. Live cooking stations. Friday brunch. Indoor and outdoor seating. View of the Burj Khalifa.
- Mint Leaf of London (0.7 miles) - Contemporary Indian restaurant on the 15th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Floor-to-ceiling windows offer great views of the Burj Khalifa.
- Al Grissino (0.8 miles) - Italian restaurant on the 16th floor of the South Tower of Emirates Financial Towers, DIFC. Unique bar offers spectacular views of the Dubai skyline.
- Bombay Brasserie (0.8 miles) - High-end Indian restaurant at the Taj Dubai in Business Bay. Features an open kitchen and luxurious interior. Offers good views of Burj Khalifa.
Hotels near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
- The Address Dubai Mall Hotel (0.1 miles)
- Armani Hotel Dubai (0.3 miles)
- Rove Downtown Dubai (0.3 miles)
- The Palace Downtown Dubai (0.3 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Mall Street (0.4 miles)
- Roda Al Murooj Hotel (0.4 miles)
- Manzil Downtown Dubai (0.5 miles)
- Ramada Downtown Dubai (0.5 miles)
- Vida Downtown Dubai (0.6 miles)
- Sofitel Dubai Downtown (0.6 miles)
- Dusit Thani (0.7 miles)
- M Hotel Downtown (0.7 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Canal Views (0.8 miles)
- Taj Dubai (0.8 miles)
- Carlton Downtown Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Emirates Grand Hotel (0.8 miles)
- Shangri La Hotel Dubai (0.9 miles)
- Steigenberger Hotel - Business Bay (0.9 miles)
- Number One Tower Suites (0.9 miles)
- DAMAC Maison Cour Jardin (1 miles)
- Rose Rayhaan by Rotana - Dubai (1 miles)
Nearby Metro Stations
Metro Stations near The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo include:
Map showing location of The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo.
Click here for a detailed map showing all points of interest.
The Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo
United Arab Emirates
Photo Credit: trabantos/Shutterstock