May marks the beginning of the hot season in Dubai. Temperatures have risen to the point that some tourists consider it uncomfortable.
While it might not be the most comfortable time to visit, there are many activities and events to enjoy.
This article provides an overview of the weather in Dubai in May, including temperature, rain, humidity, sunrise and sunset times, sea temperature, events, things to do, and what to wear.
In May, the average temperature in Dubai is 32 °C (90 °F), with a sweltering average high of 39 °C (102 °F) and an average evening low of 25 °C (77 °F).
The temperatures are notably higher than in previous months, and it’s essential to take precautions to stay cool and hydrated during your visit.
|Month||Average Temperature (°C)||Average Temperature (°F)|
|Month||High (°C)||Low (°C)||High (°F)||Low (°F)|
Rainfall is virtually nonexistent in Dubai during May. Total precipitation of 0 mm is typical.
|Month||Rainfall (mm)||Rainy days per month|
Humidity levels in Dubai in May typically average around 42%. It is the least humid month of the year.
However, combined with the high temperatures, it can still feel quite hot and uncomfortable, especially during the middle of the day.
Sunrise and Sunset Times
In May, the sun rises in Dubai around 5:30 am and sets around 7:00 pm. These times provide extended daylight hours for sightseeing and exploring the city’s attractions.
Accurate sunrise and sunset times for the year can be found here.
The average sea temperature in May is a warm 29 °C (84 °F). This water temperature is similar to that of a heated swimming pool.
It is perfect for swimming and enjoying water-based activities such as snorkelling, scuba diving, or relaxing on the beach.
|Month||Water Temperature (°C)||Water Temperature (°F)|
Events and Things to Do
Despite the rising temperatures, Dubai has many events and activities to enjoy in May. Some notable events include the Arabian Travel Market (ATM), the Dubai Comedy Festival, and the Dubai Tango Festival.
The Arabian Travel Market is a leading international travel and tourism event that showcases the latest trends, products, and services in the travel industry. The Dubai Tango Festival is an annual event that celebrates the beauty of Argentine Tango, featuring international Tango artists, workshops, live music, and concerts. The Dubai Comedy Festival brings together local and international comedians for stand-up shows, workshops, and live performances.
Outdoor attractions, such as the beautiful beaches, are popular destinations in May. Just be sure to take the necessary precautions to stay cool and hydrated. Consider visiting attractions during the early morning or late afternoon when temperatures are more bearable.
For those looking to escape the heat, Dubai offers a plethora of indoor air-conditioned attractions:
- The Dubai Mall: One of the largest shopping malls in the world, featuring over 1,200 retail stores, an aquarium, an underwater zoo, an ice rink, and numerous dining options.
- Burj Khalifa: The world’s tallest building, offering stunning city views from its observation deck.
- Dubai Aquarium and Underwater Zoo: Located inside the Dubai Mall, this attraction features a massive aquarium, an underwater tunnel, and a variety of marine life exhibits.
- IMG Worlds of Adventure: A huge indoor theme park offering a mix of thrilling rides, attractions, and entertainment for all ages.
- Ski Dubai: An indoor ski resort at the Mall of the Emirates, offering skiing, snowboarding, and other winter sports in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Green Planet: An indoor rainforest attraction with exotic plants and animals.
- Museum of Illusions: A fun and interactive museum that challenges your perception through various optical illusions and exhibits.
- KidZania: A child-sized city located in the Dubai Mall, where kids can role-play multiple careers and learn through interactive experiences.
What to Wear
It’s hot in May. Seek shade and minimise exposure to direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day.
Pack a hat, sunglasses, and plenty of sun cream to protect yourself from the strong sunshine. It’s essential to wear lightweight and breathable clothing, such as shorts, t-shirts, and sundresses.
If you plan to visit any religious sites, bring modest clothing covering your shoulders and knees.
The current 5-day weather forecast for Dubai can be found here.